2013 marks the 100th anniversary of stainless steels. To mark this event, Alan Harrison of the British Stainless Steel Association (BSSA) has revised his popular publication, “Understanding Stainless Steel”.
Understanding Stainless Steel “Centenary Edition” is packed with indispensable information on stainless alloys. What it is, how it is manufactured, where and why it is used, what types and grades are available, and much more both for beginners in the field and those who wish to refresh or update their knowledge.
The Centenary Edition has been updated with extra information on recent developments in grades and the latest surfacing finishes. Also images throughout the book have been updated.
- The World of Stainless Steel - a brief overview of applications
- History of Stainless Steels
- A Little Metallurgy - basic concepts, atoms, compounds etc
- Why is stainless steel "stainless"? - explanation of the passive layer
- The Structure of Stainless Steels - ferritic, austenitic, martensitic, duplex, precipitation hardening
- Types of Stainless Steel - pros and cons of ferritic, austenitic, martensitic, duplex, PH grades
- Grade of Stainless Steel - common grades of each basic type with AISI EN equivalents
- Magnetic Properties - stainless steels are non-magnetic. Yes and No.
- The Testing of Stainless Steels - how to read a test certificate
- Corrosion of Stainless Steels
- High Temperature Properties
- Physical Properties
- Ingredients of Stainless Steel - the effects of the elements in stainless steel and grades which show this effect
- The Manufacture of Stainless Steel - overview of process routes
- Surface Finishes - range of available finishes and influence on corrosion resistance
- Fabrication of Stainless Steels
- Material Selection
- Recycling of Stainless Steel
- The Basics of Stainless Steel - summary of most important issues
- Common Standards for Stainless Steel - summary of applicable EN standards for stainless steels
Stainless Steel Quiz - test your new knowledge
- Glossary of Terms
for an excerpt of Understanding Stainless Steel – Centenary Edition (PDF, 739 kB).
Understanding Stainless Steel – Centenary Edition costs 52 EUR including P&P in the European Union. If you live outside of the EU, the price is EUR 38 plus P&P at cost. For two copies or more, you will receive a quotation.
To order or request a quotation for Understanding Stainless Steel – Centenary Edition, please click the link below and fill out the form then press submit.