STI announces revised SP001 standard
13 March 2018
After two years of study and revision, the Steel Tank Institute (STI) has announces SP001 Standard for the Inspection of Aboveground Storage Tanks 6th Edition, and SP031 Standard for the Repair of Shop-Fabricated Aboveground Storage Tanks, 5th Edition.
STI wishes to thank the members of the STI AST Standard Review Committee, a balanced, 48-member committee of STI/SPFA tank fabricators, federal and state regulators, bulk storage tank owners, tank repair companies, and several other interested parties.
Highlights of the revised standards include:
- A new Appendix includes inspections of heated thermoplastic liquids storage up to 500° F. This appendix is aimed at inspections of asphalt tanks.
- "The maximum specific gravity of the stored liquid" was removed from the scope.
- Inspection guidelines are now provided for steel diked tanks and concrete-encased shop-fabricated tanks.
- Suitability guidelines for continued service of double-wall tanks and concrete-encased shop-fabricated tanks are now provided.
- Monthly and annual checklists are revised.
- The "safety considerations" and "welding" sections are revised.
Image courtesy of Climate, Inc.